Interest in ADUs has skyrocketed over the past few years. Here are some of the reasons why more and more people are constructing accessory dwelling units.
• There is a serious demand for affordable housing solutions that are ideal for 1-2 persons right now to rent in metropolitan areas and beyond. This has been nothing short of an all-out housing crisis on the west coast over recent years.
• Just as there is a large population out there struggling to find a place to live, there are also plenty of people who could use extra income. Renting out an ADU to earn that passive income can be a great way to build wealth.
• In order to increase the availability of this type of efficient housing, many jurisdictions have been simplifying and streamlining ADU regulations to make it easier for people to build these units. Plenty of individuals are taking advantage of these changes.
• It is no secret that many people have been struggling financially since the recession. So, it is more common than it was in the past for family members across generations to choose to reside together to support each other.
• With the pandemic changing the way we work, many people are looking for better ways to work from home. It can be difficult for everyone to focus on their work if they share the same space. An ADU can provide a peaceful, separate environment in which someone can work without distractions from other members of the household.